Custom Search

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Goulash Or An Elaborate Version Of Hamburger Helper?


It is a mission of mine to try every type of goulash available from traditional soups prepared over an open fire to modern infused meat dishes served at some of the top restaurants in the world.

Yesterday, I decided to try American goulash for the first time. As someone who was raised in a traditional European household, my initial experience of real American food didn't happen until I was a teenager when I was old enough to buy my own lunches while at school. In fact, the first time I had grilled cheese was when I was 21 years old while studying in college!

I certainly don't want to seem disrespectful towards American food. I love a good cheeseburger and would never pass at having a slice of homemade apple pie. However, American goulash has to be the worst version of goulash I've ever had in my life!

It certainly didn't resemble anything like goulash (although I know that its not really suppose too) but it didn't even seem like an actual meat dish either. It had absolutely no flavour and the consistency was like some sort of mushy paste. I'm sure I could of added a few extra ingredients like hot peppers to enhance the flavour and possibility make it taste a bit better. Regardless, this dish has little if no potential whatsoever. Any true Hungarian would fall to their knees at the sight and smell of this unfortunate dish.

This was my first experience with American goulash and certainly my last. NEVER again.

Just in case you might be curious about the ingredients I used to prepare this dish. The following below is a standard recipe for American goulash.

Ingredients for American goulash

ground beef
onion
green pepper (although I used a red pepper instead)
elbow macaroni
tomato paste
diced tomatoes in a can
garlic powder
salt and pepper

No comments: